Saturday, November 25, 2006

I've Counted my Blessings

I just got back from an absolutely wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. We spent Thursday - Saturday with my step-brother, Tim and his wife, Gigi, at their brand new home. I was surrounded by my mom, Pat; step-dad, Bob; my youngest son Kyle; Tim and Gigi; and their two kids, Jonathan and Jennice. Unfortunately, my oldest son had to work on Friday. He did cook his own turkey dinner though. I bought him a fresh turkey, a Cream Cheese Pumpkin Streusel pie, and he did the rest. He is quite the cook. We will enjoy some of his turkey fixings tomorrow!!!

After a small hitch of an uncooked turkey, we had a fabulous meal of turkey (duh), green bean casserole (with a kick of some good New Mexican green chili), sweet potato souffle, stuffing, garlic mashed potatoes, a cranberry jello salad and rolls. Gigi out did herself. Thank you so much Gigi.

I was further blessed with the best blessing of all. Being able to talk to both my daughters that live in California. We had had some major problems the past four months, but it has finally all worked out. First I talked to my youngest daughter, Katelin. I managed to catch her as she was just getting off work from one of her two jobs. She was on the way to the valley where we used to live, some 2 hours away, to have a turkey dinner with some friends. It was going to be a short holiday for her, as she had to be back at work on Friday at 5. I then talked to Kristen, my oldest, for about an hour. It had been so long since we had last talked and it was such a great feeling to be included in her day. The whole time we talked I was sitting in a very cold, damp garage (at Tim & Gigi's) with the garage door open, because the reception was lousy on my cell phone. By the time we had finished our conversation, I was a frozen blob of tears and smiles!! I didn't even have slippers on.....And I didn't want to go back inside for my slippers or jacket, for fear that our phone call would be dropped (we were both on cell phones). Well, our calls got dropped three times, but we got right back on with other. I really enjoyed hearing all about the things going on in her life.... Her quest at finding a job, her new "friend" and my grandson, Donovan. Also sharing the joy of her being in remission from her cancer. She was given the all clear on March 11, 2005, but was told the cancer was back this last June. To our great relief, the doctors were wrong and she gets to live her life in all it's glory.


After we finished talking, I sat in front of the fireplace to get warm, and cried. For the first time in months, they were happy tears. Tears that told me that I was whole again as a mother. Tears that told me I could enter my surgery next week with a light heart. Tears that told me I was happy again.

I am truly blessed. Thank you God for hearing my prayers. Amen

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God!!

I am so truly happy to hear that things are going well between you and your girls. I know how hard it's been for you... the stress you've been under pyschically as well as emotionally... now you really can enter into surgery without fear or burdens.

I am so happy for you!!

November 27, 2006  
Blogger Janet said...

Thank you Christine. It has been a horrible road that I have been traveling the last few months. It seems that the year will end on a positive note!!

November 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home